The start of a new year – always a good time to think about how I introduce myself – now including the words “pet photographer”….
- After three decades in the trenches of the corporate world, in the telecom and training industries, if you had told me that I would be a pet photographer in this decade of my life, I would never have believed you!
- I’ve always loved creating beautiful pieces of art – whether I use paints, fabrics, paper, or now – PIXELS!
- I love meeting new people and learning all about them, where they’ve lived, what they’ve done that’s gotten them to this point in their lives where our life paths crossed – even if only for a two-hour plane ride.
- I love Starbucks tall hazelnut frappucinos and have finally learned to say Tall or Grande instead of small or medium. Oh, and don’t forget my Ham and Cheddar Artisan Breakfast Sandwich that Starbucks recently replaced with a Bacon/Gouda filling… ah well…it’ll do…
- My hair’s turned silver in the past few years, and rather than plop myself down in the stylist chair every 4 weeks for a root touch-up (and highlights every 3 months), I’ve embraced silvery grey as my natural color.
- Even though I’m a native Texan, I can actually go to the grocery store these days without applying full face makeup (Mom… I’m sorry… but it’s just not necessary to wear makeup to pick out good avocadoes.)
- I adore my husband, Tom, who is my best friend – and who has been my biggest cheerleader throughout our relationship. He’s never stopped believing in me, even when I doubted taking on a new venture or career.
My companion animal and sometimes very reluctant dog model these days is the lovely, rambunctious, vociferous Sydney – who is now all of 14 months old. She’s quite the communicator, and has finally taught us to understand her various barks, whines, nose nudges – which vary according to whether it’s a “I’m hungry – feed me NOW” to “I have to go out” or “it’s Mo-time” (Mo being her bestie dog-bud who lives down the street and is always up for a backyard romp) – or her nightly standing at the bedroom door at the end of the hall, barking to let us know it’s time for bed.
One of Sydney’s favorite faces to give me when I have a camera in my hands – is that “Mom…. really? seriously? do you HAVE to do this… AGAIN?!” She loves to lie on the couch (excuse me… HER couch…) in the family room, and rest her chin on the armrest and supervise whatever activity is happening close by. She’ll be appearing here regularly, so stay tuned for more poodle antics!
Next up in the blog ring we have Carol Locey Photography from Cincinnati, Ohio – make sure to keep clicking through the webring until you land back here!
Beautiful Beasties is a network with forums, blogs and chats for professional pet photographers, where we can get advice, share images and support each other. This post is part of the 52 Project Challenge. Each week, a new theme is chosen by a forum member – the requirement is that whatever we post must be shot that week – no fair using archived photos! It’s a great way to hone our photography skills and flex our creativity muscles. Our posts are linked together in a “web blog ring”. We use blog comments or the forum to leave feedback. Seeing what our fellow pet photographers have captured over the past week on Friday mornings is like a box of chocolates – you never know what you’re gonna get! (apologies to Forrest…)